Thursday, November 1, 2012

Friends' Books Wednesday (on Thursday)!! Welcome, Valerie Bowman!

I'm thrilled to introduce my friend and fellow Fire-Breathing Flamingo, the amazing debut author Valerie Bowman!!  Valerie is as funny and wonderful as she is talented, and I know that if you love a good Racy Regency Romp, you'll love her very first published novel, SECRETS OF A WEDDING NIGHT!


Just listen to this: 
Lily Andrews, the beautiful, headstrong Countess of Merrill, is rumored to have authored a scandalous pamphlet. Secrets of a Wedding Night has scared the ton’s young ladies away from the marriage mart. The young widow soon meets her match when recently jilted Devon Morgan, Marquis of Colton, issues her a challenge:  write a retraction or prepare to be seduced...to find out just how good a wedding night can be.


Valerie was kind enough to answer the Frivolous Five for me, and I have a copy of SECRETS OF A WEDDING NIGHT - autographed! - in my hot little hands for one lucky winner! (Be SURE to check back; we've had a couple of winners never show up again! Boo!)

Without further ado, The Frivolous Five:  

AD:  Sweet tea or Diet Coke when you need deadline caffeine? And, more important (frivolous) even that that:  You are a southerner, so please explain.  What the HECK is this SWEET TEA thing??  I cannot understand it.  Why are you not honest with us poor Yankees and call it A BIG GLASS OF SUGAR WITH A DROP OF LIQUID POURED OVER IT???

VB: Regular Coke. I don't like DIET soft drinks! And usually I'm drinking Dr. Pepper to be honest. I was actually born and raised in Illinois (remember, Rantoul?) so I'm not technically southern, HOWEVER, I was raised by two southern parents (my dad was in the military and stationed in Illinois) so I know a bit about southern food and sweet tea. One of my sisters who lives in Chicago and loves sweet tea always says that getting her sweet tea fix is one of the best parts of visiting me. I'll also admit to liking fried okra! :) My southern fiance loves tea, but he prefers the unsweet variety.

AD:  You had a rocking launch party for your debut book and sold hundreds of books, and even had food and drinks and a kajillion delicious mini-cupcakes.  So, why don’t you bring me cupcakes every time you see me?

VB: That's a good question. I should travel with cupcakes at all times. My favorite cupcake flavor is strawberry. I need a little strawberry cupcake pouch. 

AD:  Why is it called a bustle?  Have you ever worn one?  Also: Whale bones in corsets--discuss.

VB: Snort. I have no idea why it's called a bustle. Thank goodness my heroines don't wear them because that was more of a Victorian thing. Us Regency authors stick with stays and an empire waist. Can you imagine wearing a bustle? I think that's one reason I don't write Victorians. I can't write the sentence, "And then he gazed longingly at her super hot...bustle." without cracking up. I've never worn a corset but I do have a Regency-era gown and when I wear it I can't bend over.  I have to bend at the knees. I am ever so glad that modern clothing involves neither bustles nor bones.

AD:  You will soon be a stepmom to a lovely young man and young woman.  Do you plan to be Wicked or Not Wicked?  Name your favorite evil stepmother.

VB: I plan to be like the stepmom in the movie Juno. I saw that movie long before I knew I would ever be a stepmother and I just adored Alison Janney's character. What a terrific stepmother! Evil stepmothers are too cliche. : ) But Snow White's evil stepmother really broke the  mold as far as I'm concerned. I mean, a poisoned apple? Seriously?

AD:  I freely admit it: I clean house to the rocking songs of ABBA & the soundtrack of GREASE.  What are the 3 most embarrassing songs on your iPod?

VB: I have the world's worst taste is music. If I told you the ACTUAL 3 most embarrassing songs, you'd probably stop hanging out with me and I value your friendship. But some of the most embarrassing include...Lucille by Kenny Rogers and Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. I am also the proud owner of the Bee Gees Greatest Hits! Woot!

You heard it here first!!!  Please name your favorite evil stepmother in the comments for a chance to win!!

Valerie Bowman writes Racy Regency Romps with a focus on sharp dialogue, engaging storylines, and heroines who take matters into their own hands! Publishers Weekly calls Secrets of a Wedding Night, an “enchanting, engaging debut that will have readers seeking future installments” and Romantic Times Book Reviews says, “This fast-paced, charming debut, sparkling with witty dialogue and engaging characters, marks Bowman for stardom.Booklist gave Secrets of a Wedding Night a starred review! You can find Valerie on the web at www.ValerieBowmanBooks.com and on Facebook and Twitter.

Valerie has a degree in English Literature from Smith College and lives in Jacksonville, FL with her rascally dog, Roo. You can find Valerie on the web at www.ValerieBowmanBooks.com and on Facebook and Twitter.


You can buy Secrets of a Wedding Night at these retailers, among others: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | Books a Million








29 comments:

  1. My favorite evil step-mother is Fiona in A Cinderella Story, starring Hilary Duff. Fiona is played by Jennifer Coolidge. Jennifer is the hilarious friend in Legally Blond who falls for the UPS guy. She's just as funny and entertaining in A Cinderella Story. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena! I don't think I've seen that. I need to!

      Delete
    2. I've never seen that movie, Lena! I need to.

      Delete
  2. I've worn bustles AND stays, but can't recall wearing a gown with an empire waist. But I also perform in community theater productions and medieval faires. Though my wedding gown bustled, too. That was good, so I didn't trip on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abigail, How DO you sit with a bustle? You can't, right?

      Delete
  3. I don.f think i actually like a wicked stepmom, though the one ibn the re.written Cinderella by Eloisa James was prety good(nad very selfabsorbed :)))

    I can.t wait to read your book, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINNER!! Please email your mailing info to me at authoralyssaday@gmail.com. thanks!!

      Delete
    2. Woe! Thankk you! Just sent the email.

      Delete
  4. I don.t like any wicked stepmum, maybe just ths one feom Eloisa James' rewritten fairytale after Cinderella.

    I can.t wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan Sarandon in Stepmom! Or Julia Roberts... they were both a little wicked. And the only non-Cinderella stepomther I can think of.
    Well, maybe Katlyn Stark from Game of Thrones. She wasn't very good to John Snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite has to be Charlize Theron's evil step-motherness! She was fantastic! Everyone loves a good scandal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annah, I'm dying to see that movie! Love Charlize!

      Delete
  7. I guess the evil stepmother that comes to mind is from Cinderella. She was downright mean, but she got hers. Anyway, can't wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hooked to the TV show Once Upon a Time so right now Regina is my favourite evil step-mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about that show, Spav.

      Delete
  9. I think Cinderella's stepmother is a classic and hard to beat. I mean, using your stepdaughter as a maid/houseslave?

    And whatever that movie is (my pop culture knowledge is expansive, eh?) where Susan Sarandon is the mom and Julia Roberts is the stepmom, and Julia hires the cute actor to get back at the guy who humiliated her stepdaughter? Loved that moment, though I think it was only evil in Susan's eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that was a good part of that movie, wasn't it?

      Delete
  10. Yay for sweet tea and evil step-moms! My personal fav was Angelica Houston's portrayal in Ever After.

    Congrats on the release, Valerie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aloha! Angelica Houston in EVER AFTER tops the evil list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All time favorite stepmother is the one in ever after myself, though charlize did a dang good job in snow white and the huntsman

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cant wait to read your book, it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for having me, Alyssa! The Frivolous Five is so FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...sweet tea. Mmmm...cupcakes... I have to say this interview is making me hungry!! :)
    Per the evil stepmom, I agree with the comment above about Charlize Theron (sp?) being the best evil stepmom. That woman rocks any character she plays.

    ReplyDelete