Monday, October 15, 2012

Join Authors Against Bullying Friday -- and my car accident

On Friday, I'll be part of a massive effort, spearheaded by Mandy Roth and Yasmine Galenorn, for authors to speak out against bullying.  I'll by interviewing my kids, who have both experienced bullying, for a first-hand look at what it feels like to be the victim of such horrible attacks.  Here is a list of participants, courtesy of Mandy Roth.



In other somber news, I was in a terrifying car accident Saturday, in which a MORON driving in front of me on a high-traffic, high-wind, freeway bridge high above a river, hit a bump and his UNSECURED king-sized box springs went flying through the air and straight at my face.  Yes, it smashed into my windshield at 50 mph, and just the sight of it blocking out the sun as it shot toward me, and the instant thought that I was going to be decapitated or plunge into the river, was enough to scare the crap out of me. 

Not to mention the shattered pieces of glass all over my car.  I didn't realize until a couple of hours later that several of them were in my hair and clothes.  So I spent Saturday afternoon and all morning today dealing with insurance and glass repair people and I have to take car to shop for body damage.  BUT NOBODY WAS HURT, THANK GOODNESS--and I'm especially proud that I did not jump up and down on the moron's head.  The state trooper said that the ticket carried a mandatory court appearance for the guy, so I can only hope the fine is huge.

But my kids were not in the car, and as I said, nobody was hurt, so I'm putting this one in the "lucky it wasn't worse" category, although I'm not sure when I'll be wanting to drive over that bridge again . . .

My wish for today is that you all drive safely, surrounded by cautious drivers who do not fling bed parts at your head.

hugs,
Alyssa
PS Shiloh Walker will be my guest on Friends' Books Wednesday this week.

12 comments:

  1. Applause for your participation in Authors Against Bullying and more hugs on the accident and its aftermath of frustrations (including the stress of memory). I'm actually pretty impressed you didn't stomp on his head too. Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm just stunned anyone would be that dangerously idiotic.

    So glad you are okay and that the kids were not in the car with you. The psychological aftermath in that event can be really hard to deal with. Two of mine were with me when the car ahead of us was involved in a fatal head on collision. It wasn't pretty after - nightmares, questions, and the backseat driving got seriously intense. "Mom, you are going 26 and the speed limit is only 25." The kids were still in grade school at the time. ;-)

    Mega hugs and hoping your own adrenalin stops pumping before next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's terrifying, Lucy. I'm hoping the kids have begun to heal from such a traumatic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG... that had to be so scarey. I'd have been shaken for days. Good to know no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTG on participating in the anti bullying program. I am sure everyone has a bullying story. A couple of years ago a bully shoved a friend's grandson's head into a brick wall. C is still having therapy. All he school did was promise the 2 boys would not be in the same room again. His parents moved C to a different school out of town-since we have only one school.

    I am so relieved that the accident goes in the "lucky no one was hurt" category. It still goes in the scared the hell out of me category-I hope the guy pays big for that . My vindictive side is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTG on participating in the anti bullying program. I am sure everyone has a bullying story. A couple of years ago a bully shoved a friend's grandson's head into a brick wall. C is still having therapy. All he school did was promise the 2 boys would not be in the same room again. His parents moved C to a different school out of town-since we have only one school.

    I am so relieved that the accident goes in the "lucky no one was hurt" category. It still goes in the scared the hell out of me category-I hope the guy pays big for that . My vindictive side is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really glad you are ok & No one was hurt.

    My daughter's karate school is big on anti-bullying & has classes to help children deal with the bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God you're ok! what a scare that must have een.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that you are okay. Congrats on participating in the ant-bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sooooo glad that you are okay. I once saw a semi total a love seat that fell of the back of a pickup truck on the freeway. At the time my family & I thought it was rather cool to see the furniture "explode" as the semi hit it. Based on your experience, looking back, it wasn't that cool. I'm sure the driver of the semi was ready to do more than stomp on the pickup truck driver's head.

    Thanks also for participating in the anti-bullying program. It's become a problem that has only grown exponentially and only gets addressed after someone has been pushed past the point of no return and either goes on a rampage in the school or commits suicide because no one would listen to their cries for help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to hear you are okay. This year has been the year for incidents. Was knocked down by a car on a pedestrian crossing, basically she the so-called driver wasn't paying attention, or was on her mobile. Still dealing with the aftermath and ongoing problems, but hey still alive and didn't have my kids with me as they would have been goners for sure. I haven't even begun to process my rage at this woman, who nearly robbed a family of their mother through careless stupidity. I was fortunately not able to follow through on my first fairly incendiary impulses as they loaded me into the ambulance. So I am mega impressed at your restraint.
    Great to see all these authors participating in the anti-bullying program. I had problems with all 3 of my kids particularly the eldest and the school was not helpful. I had to basically go commando on the headmaster who was unaware of the situation (how is that possible?)and insist that he took action. My son was unbelievably mature about the whole matter but it clearly affected him. We have since changed schools and they are very happy as the new school celebrates difference, but I feel for every parent who goes through this with their child.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! That was SCARY! I’m glad that whatever the other car was carrying didn’t go right through your windshield and hurt you more. You’re DEFINITELY lucky that it wasn’t worse. What was the outcome of the court hearing? Has it happened yet, or are you still waiting for any news?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that’s gotta be an instance where you can just be happy you got out alive! Shattered pieces of glass can puncture the eyes upon impact. So, it is a good thing nothing of the sort happened. Anyway, how did the legal proceeding turn out? Seeing how big the damage is, it can certainly be a strong case against the other party.

    ReplyDelete