Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Friends' Books Wednesday - with Yasmine Galenorn!


I’m drowning in deadlines here, and therefore THRILLED to announce my friend, the amazing Yasmine Galenorn, is our guest today!!  Her latest in the fabulous Otherworld series, SHADOW RISING, releases on October 30!!

 Here’s a bit about Yasmine:  New York Times, Publishers Weekly, and USA Today bestselling author Yasmine Galenorn writes urban fantasy for Berkley: both the Otherworld Series and the Indigo Court Series.  In the past, she wrote mysteries for Berkley Prime Crime, and nonfiction metaphysical books. 

Yasmine has been in the Craft for over 32 years, is a shamanic witch, and describes her life as a blend of teacups and tattoos.  She lives in Kirkland WA with her husband Samwise and their cats.  Yasmine can be reached via her website at  www.galenorn.com, on Twitter, and on Facebook.

And about SHADOW RISING


:
Available for pre-order from Amazon.com, BN.com

We're the D'Artigo sisters: sexy, savvy ex-operatives from the Otherworld Intelligence Agency. Being half human, half-Fae means our powers go haywire at all the wrong times. My sister Camille is a wicked-good witch, with three gorgeous husbands. My sister Delilah is a two-faced werecat and a Death Maiden. And me? I'm Menolly, a jian-tu turned vampire, and I'm dating a sexy werepuma and the godfather of vampires. Unfortunately, life is about to get very, very nasty...

Nerissa and I can't decide on what we want to do for our promise ceremony and we're bickering like an old married couple. My sisters and I head to Otherworld for a meeting with Queen Asteria, where we discover that Shadow Wing has dispatched Telazhar to reignite the Scorching Wars. And as soon as we return back home, we find Gulakah, the Lord of Ghosts, waging a battle to control the magical beings over Earthside.  Caught between two terrible enemies in a battle spanning two worlds, we can only hope we're in time to stop all-out annihilation.

Doesn't that sound terrific??  And now, without further ado, the FRIVOLOUS FIVE!! 

AD:  You are a total cat person. If two beautiful kittens were dropped on your doorstep, is there any chance you’d name them Mr. Spock and Tribble?  Or Yoda and Chewbacca? Or Frodo and Gandalf? If not, please give us your choice of names!

YG:  Well, since all my girls are named after goddesses, not much of a chance. They are named according to the way they respond to the names that I present to them. (Yes, it’s a bit of a ritual).

HOWEVER…I do love that our neighbor kitty is named Tank. It seems so silly considering what a sweet, big fluffball he is, so we always call out TANNNNNNNKKKKKK!!!!!!! It’s the TANKSTER!!! The TANKAROONI!!! when he comes over and he gets all happy and excited. (Yes, all my friends do too…I can haz the influence!).

AD:  Does your perfect vacation involve mountains or islands?  (I know, “vacation? What’s a vacation?” LOL)

YG:  Va…va-cay….vay-cay-shun…what the hell is that?

Okay, it would totally depend on my mood at the moment. Love volcanoes and warm tropical breezes, but I also love the ancient mountains here. But then again, our mountains ARE volcanoes…Oh wait! Can I choose the beach over here? The Pacific coast along Washington is windswept and wild and primal.

Or hmmm…maybe it would be fun to stay in a five-star resort with a gorgeous cabana boy or two or three… *drifts off, musing for a moment* OH…um…wait…what was the question?

AD:  If Einstein and Copernicus arm wrestled, who would win?

YG:  Well, Copernicus would knock Einstein out from being the center of attention, but it wouldn’t matter because to Einstein, everything’s relative…

(Yeah, I know, I make horrible jokes. I’m allowed to because…I said so!). 
(Don’t you love how I’m not answering any of your questions directly? I’m contrary that way).

AD:  What will be in your backpack when the zombie apocalypse hits?

YG:  A bag of frozen peas, a squash, an ear of corn, a sunflower, and a bucket. Ten points to whoever gets the reference!* ;)

AD:  If the fabulous D’Artigo sisters attended a costume party or masquerade ball, what would they choose to wear?

YG:  Camille: Since she already dresses like Elvira meets Stevie Nix meets fetish bar, she’d probably dress up in…oh…as a prim librarian!

Menolly: She’d put on kitty ears and come dressed as Delilah.

Delilah: She’d put on those god-awful gold lame stretch pants she had to wear in Night Huntress, a T-Shirt that says “Surprise! You’re my Baby Daddy” and come as a guest on the Jerry Springer show!

*Okay, okay…check out Plants Vs Zombies

 YAY!  Readers:  Please tell us in the comments which 2 historical figures YOU’D love to see arm-wrestle for a chance to win! One winner will receive a copy of SHADOW RISING from me and, thanks to Yasmine’s generosity, one of you will receive a $15 online gift certificate to either BN.com or Amazon.com.

Hugs,
Alyssa
PS: Comments are moderated to avoid spam - you only need to post once. It will show up ASAP. Thanks!



23 comments:

  1. I would love to see Bram Stoker arm-wrestle Shakespeare. I dont know why but that just sounds cool and besides you asked me the question lol. I think Bram would win but who knows!
    I could not see Camille dressed as a prim librarian for anything not even Halloween. Though Menolly as Delilah kitty would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to arm wrestle with Teddy Roosevelt....he seems to be like a bear...but I think...he's a pussycat! I'd also like to arm wrestle with Socrates ...just to get an insight of his philosophy on arm wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´d love to see David (from David and Goliath) and Samson without hair, armwrestle. =)
    Love the giveaway & Happy Wednesday!
    //Linda

    (hope it´s OK that i´m International (Sweden))

    ReplyDelete
  4. O this was fun, thank you ladies! I would love to see Queen Elizabeth 1 arm wrestle the cousin she had killed, Queen Mary of Scotland.
    auriansbooks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth Cady Stanton vs. Queen Victoria. Just 'cause the image pleases me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The two historical figures I would like to see arm wrestle are Ben Franklin and President Lincoln.
    Jami Beaver

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howz about Madame Curie and Joan of Arc - I'm more into historical women these days!! Great contest, and love the answers Yasmine!!

    (Or hey, how about Mary, Queen of Scots, and Queen Elizabeth - wouldn't that be a good one?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great blog! I would love to see George Armstrong Custer and sitting bull arm wrestle. Thank you for the chance to win! Love Menolly as the kitty so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm...I think I'd have to see Abraham Lincoln and JFK arm wrestle - simply because it sounds amusing, and there were so many odd similarities in their deaths!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see Plato and Socrates arm wrestle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have to pick Nikola Tesla and Ben Franklin, because of their electrifying personalties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see a Napoleon vs. Genghis Khan arm wrestling match.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to see one if the Bronte sisters arm wrestle Jane Austen. I an not quite sure which would win, though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would like to see Issac Newton and Albert einstein. They were two intellectuals, kinda makes me want to see if they were both wimpy or not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would like to see Darwin and Newton in a match. Though people might gravitate towards Newton, Darwin would win naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINNER!! Please email me at authoralyssaday@gmail.com with your snail mail address! Thanks!

      Delete
  16. The Menolly books are my favs!

    Anyway... historical figures arm wrestling. I'd like to see Queen Elizabeth & Queen Victoria have a match. Winner takes "Best Monarch EVAR!" title though I'm personally rooting for Elizabeth. ER ftmfw.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cleopatra and Bathsheba. Ladies of power, but ladies none-the-less

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hm...think I would like to see Shakespeare arm wrestle Milton.....talk about totally different writing styles - surprisingly after having had to take a class on Milton, I have a better appreciation for his poetry but his prose still bores me to tears.....Definitely no issues like that with Yasmine's stories, it's always a dang that was good now how long till the next one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Two of Henry the Eight's wives and see the winner get the prize of Henry; maybe it would be loser gets the prize.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to see Benjamin Franklin and Nikola Tesla arm wrestle... it would be electric =) *I know bad joke ha ha ha*

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eleanor Roosevelt and Amelia Earhart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINNER!! Please email me at authoralyssaday@gmail.com with your snail mail address! Thanks!

      Delete