Thursday, September 13, 2012

When Mom’s on Deadline

My daughter has graciously stepped in to blog for me today.  I'm wincing a little bit as I realize I totally resemble these remarks! But the final paragraph makes up for all.
hugs,
Alyssa (on deadline)

When Mom’s on Deadline
By “Princess” (PS I drew this author photo of Mom a few years ago, when I was much younger)



When my mom is on deadline, usually the first sign is,

“I’m going to the store to buy some chocolate, kids, need anything?”

Chocolate is, it seems, the only thing stopping writers from being caught and crushed by the deadline monster. But the real signal that my mom is on deadline is when you get within five feet of her office. When my brother or I even walk in the front room, she puts her hand up and says-

“No. Deadline.”

Being a mom can be difficult (especially with kids like me! :D) but deadlines make the stress levels go through the roof. Deadline time is, as my brother and I know, be-quiet-and-do-what-mom-says time.

So, if you know someone who’s on deadline, my advice would be to give some Hersheys and act like they aren’t writing a book at all, because trust me, asking “how is your book going?” is not something to ask a writer on deadline!

Of course, one of the GOOD things about having a writer mom on deadline is, when the book is super stressful or isn’t going as planned, mom decides it’s “cuddle all the dogs and kids time!!” Which is nice! Also, just having an author mom is cool, because when I tell people my mom’s an author, they’re like “Woahhhhhh! That’s so cool!” Which is pretty awesome in my opinion.

So all in all, having a mother who’s an author has its ups and downs, but in the end I wouldn’t want anybody else for the job.

 -Lauren

 

7 comments:

  1. Lauren, I'm very afraid to ask my 14 year old daughter about what she thinks about me while on deadline. But you're totally right about chocolate and cuddling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT's awesome that you hijacked your mom's blog! The chocolate trick is also good for book reviewers on a deadline too :D
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful! I wish my kids would say such things about me!
    Good luck with your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,

    The chocolate and cuddling is a very sensible way to approach an author on deadline. Clearly you are very intelligent, empathic young woman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. That cuddle time is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. This is my favorite: give some Hersheys and act like they aren’t writing a book at all.

    Great idea, Lauren.

    And what a talented artist you are! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was wonderful!! I can't help but laugh because the whole putting the hand up and telling you guys to STAY BACK--yeah, I can relate to that one! If you don't write or know someone who does, you just don't understand... :) Sounds like your mom is not only a wonderful author but a pretty darn good mom too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete