Friday, September 7, 2012

Welcome! Friends' Books Friday debut!


Welcome to the jump-start of my new blog and the inauguration of Friend’s Books Fridays. If you know me at all, you know that I am woefully bad at keeping up at blogging because, frankly, I hate talking about myself. J  But one thing I love talking about with a shiny purple passion is books. And I have many, many writer friends who write WONDERFUL books.

So, the idea for Friend’s Books Fridays was born.  Each Friday (unless I have a deadline crisis or a cloud of were-grasshoppers swarms my house), I’ll be introducing you to a friend of mine via 5 frivolous questions and a description of her or his new book.  Plus—of course!—there will be a chance to win a copy of that book!

With no further blather, let me tell you about Dangerously Talented & Glowingly Red-haired Meljean Brook!  She writes amazing books about angels in The Guardian series and iron warriors in The Iron Seas novels. You can reach her at her website, or at Twitter, or Facebook.   Her latest is RIVETED, which is taking the steampunk world by storm!


The New York Times bestselling author of The Iron Duke and Heart of Steel returns to the Iron Seas with a riveting new adventure of steamy romance.

A century after a devastating volcanic eruption forced Iceland’s inhabitants to abandon its shores, the island has become enshrouded in legend. But the truth behind the legends is mechanical, not magical—and the mystery of the island a matter of life and death for a community of women who once spilled noble blood to secure their freedom.
Five years ago, Annika unwittingly endangered that secret, but her sister Källa took the blame and was exiled. Now Annika serves on an airship, searching for her sister and longing to return home. But that home is threatened when scientific expedition leader David Kentewess comes aboard, looking to expose Annika’s secrets. Then disaster strikes, leaving David and Annika stranded on a glacier and pursued by a madman, with their very survival depending on keeping the heat rising between them—and generating lots of steam…

In her own words:

Q: Meljean, your obvious super power is your ability to hypnotize people with your gorgeous red hair. If you were an On The Job superhero, what color spandex would your suit be? And the big question: Capes or No Capes?

My spandex suit would be orange and green -- to match my hair and eyes, of course! I find that color coordination is the most important part of crime-fighting. When I show up in the middle of a dark alley, I need criminals to be awed by my magnificent appearance and overwhelmed by my sartorial excellence! If they are incapacitated by laughter when they get a look at my thighs in spandex, even better. Then I don't have to dirty my orange gloves by walloping them!

And every real superhero has to wear a cape! It would be green and orange checkerboard, and big enough to use as a parachute if I ever fall off of a skyscraper ... and long enough to wrap the entire world in, so that I can warm the hearts of mankind with the force of my love!

Q: If you were to have an unexpected day off from your crazy writing schedule, which would it be: Aquarium, Planetarium, or Zoo?

Zoo! I always like to visit my family and to remember my humble origins.

Q: Confess!  What’s your favorite go-to snack food during deadline crunches?

Oh, it's Chex Mix! I love that stuff like crazy, and I'm so, so glad that it comes in packages now instead of being forced to actually make it. (The effort of melting butter -- OMG, the horror!) Now and again I enjoy something sweet, but salty reels me back every single time.

Q: Writing to music: Yes or No?  If yes, rock, Bach, indie, country, or jazz?

I do love to make soundtracks that fit certain books or series, but those are for the car or when I'm exercising. While I'm writing, I simply can't listen to any music with lyrics. Sometimes I'll choose classical, but movie soundtracks are also great background music. My latest favorite is the soundtrack to Transformers 3 -- I didn't think much of the movie, but I liked the music.

Q: Best movie you’ve seen lately AND which actor would you love to see cast in an Iron Seas movie?

Best movie: The Dark Knight Rises! I loved it! I thought it was a fabulous end to the trilogy. As for an Iron Seas movie, I'd cast Henry Cavill (the future Superman!) I have absolutely no idea which role he'd play and I wouldn't really care if it was a speaking part, either, as long as he was onscreen a lot. I would just sit there and watch his pretty, pretty, pretty face. I think a role that left him shirtless as often as possible would be best, don't you?
THANKS to Meljean Brook! I’ve known and stalked adored her since we were in the WILD THING anthology together. For a chance to win a copy of RIVETED, please tell me in the comments how you would survive in a steampunk world and which Jeremy Renner actor you’d love to take with you! Two random commenters (yes, can be international) will win!


32 comments:

  1. This mini interview left me laughing like crazy!

    I'd take Jhonny Depp, he's very adaptable :D I have no idea how I would survive, I think I'd have lots of guns and a droid-like pet :)) the steampunk world is very dangerous and brutal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your interview so much . I laugh all the time. I will try to survive using my wit and my swords :), Aretha z , arethazhenATrocketmailDOTCOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Survive? No idea. As a book shop owner, maybe? If they exist.
    I would take The Rock. He's handsome and knows how to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun interview, only thing is now we will know Meljean is the alter-ego of an orange and green caped hero!

    I'm not an actor fan so I'm changing the question and would take my squeeze because he's very gadget-knowledgeable and he makes a mean cuppa tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How would I survive.. I'd be the geek who loves the gadgets and I'd be fixing them. :) I'd definitely take Hugh Jackman... sigh.

    Waves hi, Alesia. I've had my eye on Meljean's series - was planning to download on my Kindle. :)

    Ann M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a great interview. I am picking Nathan Fillian. If I can't survive, I want him to be the last thing I remember :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how I would survive, but if I had Chris Hemsworth with me I don't think I would care all that much. Loved this interview. I can't wait for her next Guardian book and I'm really looking forward to the Alaric book. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. VIN DIESEL....He can do anything/everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christian Bale, hands down, man can rock the dirty adventurer look like nobody else. and if i were going to survive in a steampunk world i'd get my hands on some engineering books, study my ass off, build a bad ass glider,and travel the world and revel in the awesome fashion. And I'd love to pick up book binding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surviving would be easy because in a steampunk world at least I know there'd be steam baths and hot water aplenty. What more can a woman ask for? Heck, there'd even be water pressure. As for what actor would be my choice companion, I'm going with Simon Pegg. He'd make everything fun and funny. He could be my sidekick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ed Norton... I feel like he would fit in there; and the attractiveness doesn't hurt either :) I would survive by constantly drinking tea, wearing long, fanciful skirts, and carrying around a Steam Punk Dictionary.

    P.S. There's a fun one here ! http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13753.0

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unless someone else has a claim on Jeremy Renner, I'd take him with me. Or Joseph Gordon-Levitt. As for surviving...well, I'd have to perfect my ninja skills first. Ninjas can survive anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Clive Owen would be perfect. He's hot in an imperfect way and totally kickass. Plus that accent is dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINNER! The random number generator chose you to win! Please email me your mailing address at authoralyssaday@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. I would take my captain, Nathan Fillion. We would sail around in an airship and be fabulous. *swoon*

    Brook is hands down my new favorite author this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the look of this book and would only survive with gin and chocolate :) Jeremy Renner is a damn fine choice, Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, man, all the hot actors are already taken. In that case, I will bring Will Ferrell. At least I'd have someone to keep my laughing while I try to survive as a roving singer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know someone picked Chris Hemsworth already, but he would be my pick. I would be very helpless in the steampunk world and would have to rely heavily (what a shame!) on him. I loved your interview and have saved this site on my Favorites to come back on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd take Chris Pine, for surviving I'm good at taking care of animals so maybe in a small traveling show with dogs & rats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would survive by staying as close as possible to Alexander Skaarsgard! Surely, he'd be able to keep me alive!
    I have a copy of Wild Thing, but don't remember Maljean's story...just the excuse I need to familiarize myself with her writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would survive quite well in a steampunk world. I am a tough old broad and all technology will collapse in front of me.

    The actor I want with me is Alexander Skarsgard. He will have to stay close to me and protect me from everyone who is angry when their little do-dads break down.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would take Jeremy Renner AND Eric Northman. I mean Alexander Skarsgaard. Because two are better than one.

    Also chocolate. Lots of chocolate. I'm pretty sure you can survive anything with enough chocolate.

    GREAT interview. Totally made me giggle!

    (Also, I am not anonymous, but stupid Google is giving me fits.)
    Shéa MacLeod

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmmm. How to survive and with whom. I just watched a movie with Zac Efron in it, and I was impressed with how well he does the strong and silent type, so I would lean towards taking him along. Not only because he is beyond adorable, but he sings, plays musical instruments, and he is just really built nice! Eye Candy!! LOL! How to survive--well, not really sure because I'm not familiar with the steam punk issue but I think that a good parka, some Uggs, and a warm little cabin with Zac to keep me company (and warm) with lots of books and a piano for Zac to serenade me on--who cares if we ever get rescued?!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Finally a new blog???
    I'm sure Jeremy Renner would know how to take care of little old me...

    ReplyDelete
  24. The answer to both questions is the same :D Ian Somerhalder! All I have to do to survive (anywhere and not just a steampunk world) is be under his protection - He just has to look at you with those eyes and WOW!!! LOL I also just met him at DragonCon and he was AMAZINGLY kind and friendly.
    Becki

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh no! Jeremy Renner is out of option? I will take Hugh Jackman or Gerald Butler with me to survive in the steampunk world. Beside both are superhero material (add spandex too)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WINNER! The random number generator chose you to win! Please email me your mailing address at authoralyssaday@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  26. I'd be a baker (cuz everyone eats bread) and who would I want: Hugh Jackman. Because he is lovely!! and tall, and lovely. :P
    Maritza M

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can I say Robert Downey Jr? He's been playing some snarky wise ass type of characters. Pretty limber too. I'm sure he'll know how to protect me. Mmm, how about the character (not the actor) in Locked Out (Marian Snow) Oh he was awesome awesome awesome! I can see those two taking care of zombies and the steampunk by storm.. doling it snark!

    Raonaid at gmail dot com. Thanks Meljean for introducing me to Delilah!!!! The book was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. And now I'm crazing Chex Mix :)

    I'd so be terrible at surviving in a steampunk world. I'd take Wentworth Miller along. The boy can get out of anything. Handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I wouldn't know how to survive in a steampunk. I'm after all just a mere girl. I'll let Christian Bale take care of me, With him, I'd be able to survive just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would survive as a cybernetically enhanced itinerant governess specializing in the education and protection of the awkward yet precocious offspring of ridiculously wealthy aristocrats. I would bring Chris Hemsworth with me as the rough-mannered self-made cog manufacturing magnate whose young niece/ward has just been kidnapped by the villainous Earl of Easthamwick, a madman driven to revenge for Mr. Hemsworth's interference in his plan to subvert the governments of Europe through espionage and blackmail enabled by the infiltration of many thousands of tiny clockwork spiders.

    ReplyDelete