Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Friends' Books Wednesday: Ann Aguirre!

Hello my darlings! I'm crazy busy on deadline for THE CURSE, the first of my League of the Black Swan series, so I haven't been around much. But I can't possibly miss Friends' Books Wednesday!

(And yes - ALEJANDRO'S SORCERESS is in the process of posting, so it should be available by the weekend!)

So, with no further ado, let's meet the fabulous Ann Aguirre!

Ann is a talented and prolific author of Science Fiction and Fantasy novels, in both adult and teen genres! Her newest book, OUTPOST, catapulted Ann onto the USA Today bestseller list & she's now on tour for the book, hopefully somewhere near you!

SALVATION ISN’T AS SAFE AS IT SEEMS.


Deuce’s whole world has changed. Now living topside in a community called Salvation, she has a whole new set of problems. Down below, she was considered an adult, and she contributed to the whole. Now, topside, the people of Salvation think she’s a brat in need of training. She hates school, and she doesn’t fit in with the other girls. They’ve spent their lives learning to cook and sew–suitable woman’s work. Deuce only knows how to fight. To make matters worse, Fade keeps her at a distance, and the band of four has broken into fragments.

Stalker presses for a closer relationship, but Deuce sees him as a training partner, and she’s busy trying to find her place in Salvation. She refuses to accept that she’s wrong for being who she is, but tensions rise as she struggles against the status quo. Her feelings for Fade haven’t changed, but he seems not to want her around anymore. Confused and lonely, she starts looking for a way out.

Once she’s free from school for the year, Deuce pursues a chance to serve in the summer patrols–those responsible for making sure the growers and planters can work the fields without danger of Freak attack. It should have been routine, little fighting, but things have been changing on surface, just as they did below ground. The Freaks are smarter. They’re watching. Waiting. Planning.

The monsters don’t intend to let Salvation survive, and it will take a girl like Deuce to turn the tide.

So, go forth immediately and try the sample chapters! And try Enclave, too (the first book in the trilogy, although Enclave does stand alone), because they're both terrific!

Without further ado, the Frivolous Five:

Q: You just added a baby dachshund puppy to your family. Do you intend to eventually have a herd of Dachshunds, like my all-time favoritecommercial? 

AA: I do not. We already have one other dog; she's half basset, half beagle. Since we have two cats and they do really well together, it occurred to us that our dog might be happier if we got her a friend, too. Since we're moving into much bigger house, one tiny dachshund won't take up much space. I hear they can be a challenge to deal with, though. Here's hoping I'm up to it. 

Q: You are currently writing 79 books per year.  Is your goal world domination or simply the need to have enough author copies to build furniture for your new house?

AA: World domination has always been my goal. Always! Mwahahaha! But I have down shifted from 79 books to three. Next year I'm writing one steampunk with my husband (so that actually only counts as half), an adult SF title, and one YA. So that's 2.5, really. Of course, with all that free time, I might write 65 books for fun. You never know. 

Q: Is it true you time-traveled here from the future, and that’s why you know so much about spaceships and post-apocalyptic reality?

AA: If I told you, I would wreck the space-time continuum and therefore the world as we know it. Is that what you want? IS IT? I didn't think so. Besides, the alpacas will destroy us soon enough. 

Q: If you could cast actors for a movie of Outpost, will you invite me to the premiere?  Oh. And who would play Deuce & Fade?

AA: I will totally invite you to the premiere. For Fade, I'd pick Jake Rose. Nobody will know who that is, but he played a younger version of John Cusack in Hot Tub Time Machine. Maybe the internet can help you find a picture of him. Maybe. As for Deuce, I'd love to see Saoirse Ronan tackle the role. 

Q: I will buy the popcorn. Peanut butter M&Ms or Twizzlers?

AA: Why do I have to choose one kind of candy? I promise I won't hurl. Okay, fine. Peanut butter M&Ms. 

Clearly you can see why I love her! For a chance to win a copy of OUTPOST, please answer the following question: If you could travel through time, where would you go? And when? One lucky winner will be drawn randomly from comments. Thanks!

hugs, 
Alyssa




18 comments:

  1. If I could travel through time, I would go back to 1986, South Bend, IN, at 8:45pm, and tell myself in a strong, firm voice, "Dude, look in the mirror. No one should ever WILLINGLY wear that outfit." There may involved some slapping, I was a bit of a nasty child back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go to Ancient Egipt to meet Cleopatra. Or maybe to regency England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could travel through time, I would go to the future, say 20 years from now, to see where I ended up. Hopefully I'll be still alive, owning a robot butler and driving a super futuristic vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could travel through time, I'd totally go back to highschool... There's some issues I'd love to work out from back then!!! Note to self: Invent time machine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would visit The French Revolution. That time period it utterly fascinating, and as long as I can leave I'd love to time travel there.

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would travel back to the Victorian days where men were gentlemen and dressed very dashing and horror was the hot new rage! Of course the corsets and layers of dresses might become a hassle, but them again, so are skinny jeans!


    Elizabeth Ortiz
    idefyu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would travel to the future to get all Ann's books so I wouldn't have to wait for them.

    sullivanmcpig(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always thought I was born at a wrong time and place. I think I would have enjoyed Victorian England, Industrial Revolution (Dickens's influence), then maybe even Renaissance Italy, would love to meet Scandinavian Vikings, Classical Greece to meet Aristotle and Plato, and the building of the piramids of Giza in Ancient Egypt. Oh, well, I would need several time machines. ;) And thank you for giving away the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would go back to ancient Egypt to see how they really built the pyramids. Or maybe Stonehenge instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to watch how the pyramids were built. Or maybe Stonehenge.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rome (or Greece)--I want to see all that art and beauty as it was, in full color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If I could travel through time, I would go back to the years I was five, ten and fifteen AND KICK MY OWN ASS. Those were years that could have been improved with a little attitude adjustment. *glares at whiny, mopey past self*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would want to be in Memphis in the 50s or 60s to spend time with Elvis!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I´d go back to experience the regency period, but only if i´d end up in a decent family LOL i´d like to join the ton in London, not end up shoveling coal in a basement *giggles*

    best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. My grandparents were from England and Ireland; I would love to travel back to the day they met!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandparents ere from England and Ireland; I would love to go back to the day they met!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd travel to the future (and stay here in the US) to see how things will change, all the new inventions, technologies, fashion, etc.

    ReplyDelete